Monday 8 June 2020

Favourite Books #6

This is not so much a favourite book recommendation as a favourite author recommendation. I have long been an avid admirer of the work of A. L. (Alison) Kennedy. At fifty-four, she has published ten novels and six collections of short stories, among other things. Is it possible to be too prolific? Maybe, but pretty much everything she has written is worth checking out. So, which one to choose? Everything You Need is probably her best novel, but I could change my mind about that tomorrow. So why not start at the beginning, with her debut collection of short stories, Night Geometry and the Garscadden Trains? I was bowled over at the inventiveness of this collection when it came out. She’s tremendously good on the body – if her characters feel pain or – for that matter – pleasure, you’ll know exactly what it felt like. Also hugely compassionate. 

Links to some reviews I wrote below.







No comments:

Post a Comment